Mind as epigenetic modifier in mood disorders

The paper proposes that mind, through electromagnetic fields that it generates, can cause alterations in the DNA methylation patterns and induce abnormal brain gene expression.

Depression or lifetime experiences can alter DNA structure in the brain and therefore lead to mood disorders. To see this first addresses the importance of epigenetics, describes its principles, and show various experimental results:

" Epigenetics, which focuses on nongenomic alterations of gene expression, provides a mechanism for understanding such findings, through alteration of DNA methylation and subsequent silencing of gene expression or through physical changes in DNA packaging into histones."

Secondly it review a theory by Gariaev et al. [a theory with which the author of this web does not have a full affinity right now] that proposed DNA as a holographic EM fields reader where chromosome apparatus acts simultaneously both as a source and receiver.

" Only 3% of human DNA encodes the physical body. The remaining 97% of the 3 billion base pair genome contains over a million genetic structures called transposons, that have the capacity to jump from one chromosomal location to another [19, 37] A model of the mind-body relationship is developed in which novel biophysical principles in genome function generate a dynamic possessing attributes consistent with both our psychophysical nature and consciousness."

Is interesting the description that the authors do of how bioholography model of human-being is formed at the moment of conception:

" Researchers have found that at the moment of ovulation there is a definite shift in the electrical fields of the body of the woman [27]. The membrane in the follicle bursts and the egg passes down the fallopian tube. The sperm is negative with respect to the egg. When the sperm and egg unite, the membrane around the egg becomes hyperpolarized, shutting out other sperm. It is at this moment that the electromagnetic entity is formed."

They describe psychogenetic, how focused attention during creative moments evoke immediate early gene protein cascades to optimize brain growth, mind-body communication, and healing. Those early genes function as mediators of information transduction between psychological experience, behavioral states, and gene expression.

Mental health as part of the global epigenetic picture can alter our gene expression:

" Researches found that chronic social stress can cause chromatin changes in genes in the brain’s nucleus accumbens and hippocampus ... In animal models of chronic stress, scientists were able to manipulate specific brain areas in ways that produced antidepressant-like effects."

" .. a personally beneficial meditation practice (yoga, Tai Chi, Transcendental, etc.) can fundamentally change gene expression and our response to stress [62-69]. Over time, our efforts can potentially modify the expression of those genes that are involved in stress response and very likely related areas of mental health like anxiety and depression."

Finally it describes Montagnier experiments that show that DNA can send spooky electromagnetic imprints of itself into distant cells and fluids, suggesting that DNA emits low-frequency electromagnetic waves which imprint the structure of the molecule onto the water. So ...

" Every thought has influence on electroencephalogram (EEG). So content of mind may have influence on electromagnetic origin of DNA and it’s expression."

Last modified on 20-Mar-16

/ EMMIND - Electromagnetic Mind